Thursday, October 9, 2008

Body Butters and Lotions

Do you know the difference between a whipped body butter and a lotion? Whipped Body Butters Body butters or whipped body butters are made up of pure oils and butters that have been heated and melted together, fragranced and packaged. These are more for extreme skin cases, I like body butter simply because they are pure oils and butters, they are fast absorbing on the skin, and they penetrate deep into the many layers of skin. I also like them because I can put them on once during the day, after a shower or bath, or in the evening and I not only feel softer skin the next morning but I can smell it on my skin the following day also! Lotions Lotions are not by far my favorite, not since I have tried body butters. But they still have their use, body butters are firmer, so they are nota easy to just grab and take with you in your purse, lotions are great for 'on the spot' pull out the little tube and use, uses. Both can have wonderful fragrances and scents to them, however lotions have a liquid base, whether it be water, aloe, witch hazel, or whatever you can get a lotion to hold. I like lotions for lighter applications on my face, where I like more of a light airy type of moisturizer instead of the heavier feeling of pure oils like in a body butter. Bottom line here is this Both have their use in bath and body care, lotions to me are more for your face, under eyes, and when you DON'T want a heavy oily feeling. Although body butters do not always leave a 'heavy oily feeling' on your skin either, it all depends on the maker and the type of base they are using... Don't be fooled I have seen body butters on sale at Bath and Body Works, one of their main ingredients is 'water' well that is not a body butter, because body butters don't have water or liquids like water in them, that classifies as a lotion! Don't be fooled! A true body butter is simply whipped butters, oils and a fragrance oil, no water..... A true lotions is the same as the whipped body butters but it contains water, or a liquid like water, be it witch hazel, or aloe juice or distilled water! Don't fret, not all body butters leave a greasy feeling on your skin, mine don't, they will however leave a feeling of pure moisturizing, quenching your skin's thirst for moisture through it's many layers. There is a big differenece when it comes to a whipped body butter, in the different butters that can and are used! Cocoa Butter- We have all heard by now of the wonderful skin healing abilities of Cocoa Butter, how it helps to reduce and remove stretch marks within the skin, by adding more elasticity to the skin. But Cocoa Butter is a much much thicher type of butter, giving you a much much deeper moisturizing than Mango or Shea Butters! I rate this base butter a Deep moisturizor. Mango Butter- This is a gift from the gods when you stop and thik about it. Mango is fast absorbed into the skin, and will give you a more medium strength type of moisturizing ability to your skin's needs. Leaving your skin feeling soft and supple this butter is incredible when your not needing a deep penetrating butter like Cocoa butter, but are looking for a middle grounds tpe of moisturizer. Shea Butter- Now this butter is very fast absorbing into the skin, and when whipped is ver smooth and creamy, a nice light moisturizor. Perfect when you don't want or need anything heavy on your skin. All of the above butters are excellent for your skin, all are extremely moisturizing and will give you lasting skin softening and soothing effects and feeling. I like to use Cocoa Butter based body butters when I was pregnant and after I was pregnant to help with stretch marks. I also like cocoa butter body butters when it is fridged cold outside during our winters here in Wisonsin, they last a long time and offer me the added moisture when I have to go outdoors in the extremne weather. On the flip side I still like my Mango and Shea Butters for other months of the year. Mango for Fall and Spring, and Shea for Summer, if I am tanning I will also use the Mango butter based body butters to help rid my body of the moisture loss duing tanning. I do not use moisturizers on my face during the Summer months, as my face does not require them, I simply use an Aloe Gel on my face for a very light skin quencher. However Fall through Spring I do tend to use light lotions on my face as I tend to get extremely dry skin in the general T zone on my face. I also very much like the extra use of an aloe and/or witch hazel lotion under my eyes to help releive the signs of squinting and/or aging, those nice fine lines we all know and have come to know as 'crows feet'. The use of Aloe gel with a very light moisturizer under the eyes will help to reduce if not elliminate those little nasties. I also use my cucumber and oats soaps to help keep my skin tight my complexion fair and even. Stay tuned for more help with reducing the signs of aging! More hints and tips coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?